Monday 14 September 2015

Not More Seashells!

Yes, I know this is very similar to my other seashell card...but there are a few differences. Instead of pencil crayons and gamsol,  this time I water coloured the sea and sand on some 140 lb watercolour paper. It dried nice and flat...I count myself lucky! Added some of those stamped, coloured and fussy cut sea shells, popping forward the conch and the starfish for some depth.

My card base was white and looked too stark with the cream watercolour paper so I covered it with Creative Impressions Sonnet Sea Side DP. Somehow I managed to rumple one edge so I distressed the edges with the blade of my scissors, and inked them with Ingvild Bolme Prima Chalk Ink, Black Coal. That looked a little too dark so I inked over it with her white chalk ink...that toned it down!


Mounted my watercolour topper and thought I was done, until I opened the card and managed to get some ink on the inside. Drat!  Cut a bit more of the Sea Side DP and used it to hide my inky mistake.
I will stamp a sentiment here, once I decide what this card will be used for!


I don't like this one as much as the previous seashell card I did with pencil crayons and gamsol...but hopefully whoever I send it to will enjoy it!

I am entering this card in the following challenges
1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets (the shells were cut from Bazzil card snippets

22 comments:

Kath said...

A great card - I love the seashells and the depth of the images.
Kath x

brenda said...

The seashells look so lifelike Mo and the subtle hue of sea and beach in the background is beautifully done.

Saw Lynn's photos, so nice you two got to meet up.

B x

Zoe Tant said...

Great card Mo and from your happy accident a lovely inside too! x

Jenny L said...

Hi Maureen.
I like very much.
Wonderful design, and beautiful inking work.
Love the seashells they look so great.
Love and hugs from my house to yours.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Sarn said...

I think it's lovely and I am positive the recipient will love it Mo.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Barb said...

I love this card. It has a peacful feel to it. I smiled reading how it evolved. Sounds like me ... I often have to rim cards down when the topper gets put on a fraction to high up! Barbxx

mamapez5 said...

This is a lovely summer-time card. I really like it. You went to a lot of trouble to get the backing just right, so well done for that. The sand dollar reminds me of a lovely holiday we had in Florida, when the boys were young teens.
I hope the worst of the storms have passed now. Stay safe. Kate x

jimlynn said...

This makes me wish that summer isn't almost over. Love your watercoloring on here and those pretty shells.
Lynn

cuilliesocks said...

Well this is just lovely Mo, beautiful sea images and I do love your colours, Kate x

Carol said...

Sorry Maureen I'm laughing here at all your faux paxs....sounds like my kind of crafting! Love what you've created as I'm sure the recipient will. Carol x

cotnob said...

A super card, your seashells are fabulous and your watercolour background is perfect.
Pauline
x

Veerle said...

This is a super gorgeous card Maureen. I am absolutely sure the recipient will be very happy with it.
Veerle x

Kathleen said...

Lovely card and I think the colouring is fabulous.

Kath x

Jean said...

I really like this card, I think the sea shells make a very attractive image. I like the subtle colours too.
Jean x

Liz said...

A lovely card, a very tranquil scene - and the starfish looks 3D! I'm glad I'm not only one who makes inky mistakes that need to be covered up! xx

Di said...

Beautiful card Mo - very realistic colouring hun too!

Hugs

Di xx

KandA said...

Gorgous card, so peaceful looking with the fabulous shells and gentleness of the seascape background xx

Cathy said...

The recipient will definitely love this car Mo, it's gorgeous. Good save on the inside too! Cathy x

Linby said...

I love starfish, they had some brilliant ones in a giant tank at Vancouver airport. Great card so calm.
Lynn x

MaryH said...

Hi Maureen, Came here looking for your CCC and realized I'd been MIA here for a bit. So enjoyed your gorgeous tropical shells, and remembered when I used to see these things walking our Florida beaches. Wonderful watercoloring on here, and those shells are just gorgeous with the treatments you've used. Had to grin at your saves! You did a great job with that as well, and no one would ever know! Hope all is well. TFS & Hugs

Pia S said...

A very beautiful CAS design, love the delicate colors of the sea and sand and how you arranged those sea shells.

Bonnie said...

Never too many seashells especially when colored this beautifully!