Monday 23 March 2015

Planters and Blooms

On the first Wednesday of each month, I go to a local card making group at my local scrapbook store. We take turns designing a card and bringing the supplies for all of us to make it.

April is my turn to bring the card kits and here is what I have planned.  You all know how I am trying to whittle away at my flower stash, so I guess it is no surprise that cards kits for a group of ladies would contain flowers!


I am using a never before used item...my Sizzix Conservatory Window die. I am not using it as a window though...I am using it as a balcony planter full of blooms! I cut out 9 of these planters out of my snippets of heavy weight Bazzil.

I ran a snippet of grey heavy weight Bazzil through a Darice wood grain EF to create the look of a wooden wall. I glued the die to that and pop dotted the bottom Planter Box forward a bit. I got a little carried away with the Martha Stewart leafy branch punch for the greenery and totally covered up the planter portion...lol Sorry about that but you can use your imagination!

The branches were punched from a sort of ugly pastel green lighter weight card. It looked too light  so I  inked them randomly with Ingvilde Bolme Prima chalk inks in Moss Lawn Green and also in Olive Vine green. Here is a close up to show the shading...


The wee flowers are from my never ending stash and I doubled them up for extra petal depth and held the layers together with a teensy brad. So 10 flowers in total on this card.  Yay...10 times 8 ladies, plus my 10 flowers on this card, and that is 90 flowers used! I will only add the 10 that I actually used on this card to the flower ticker at the top of my blog header, but it feels good to actually get 90 flowers out of the jars!

I wanted to fit my Elizabeth Bell Hello sentiment onto the back of the planter frame but it seemed to get lost in the background. There was not a place on the planter back large enough to mount it, so I cut a Spellbinders circle die in the same white card and sliced off the bottom third of the circle. I glued that over the too small existing half circle design.  Finally had a half circle large enough to showcase my sentiment.

Hopefully the ladies like this card. None of these ladies blog, so I am safe to post my card here early!!!

I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1. Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets


20 comments:

Greta said...

Oh wow--this is wonderful! Great way to make use of paper you don't like. I have several packs of cardstock that was cheap, but once I opened it I realized why. Maybe punches & adding ink will make it usable--thanks for the idea!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Hi Maureen, a lovely well designed card. Love the planter with the greenery and flowers. Well done on using 90 flowers up, at this rate you'll be having to buy more lol! Susan x

Kath said...

A fabulous card and a great use of snippets and the flowers!
Kath x

Di said...

Really great card Mo! I have a similar NBUS window die and you inspired me to use it. Tee, hee, I think you ought to include the rest of the flowers in you counter :-)

Hugs

Di xx

debby4000 said...

Love your gorgeous card
luv
Debby

brenda said...

Lovely fresh Spring colours Mo, always a pleasure to see you makes.

B x

Sarn said...

OOh this is just LOVELY Mo. Fantastic die cutting and punching and arranging.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, Mo! This is absolutely gorgeous! I love how you made the planter box with the flowers and greenery!

Sue said...

Beautiful card Maureen love that die! huggles Sue xx

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Maureen, love your pretty card, and what a super idea with the window die, I love your box of flowers, gorgeous colours. I'm sure your ladies will love doing this one, I certainly would, hugs Kate x

Carol said...

Love this Maureen, the ladies will have fun putting it together. Great use of the old and the new. Carol x

Sandra H said...

Absolutley beautiful is your card x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

What a fab card and a great design to take to the class. Your ladies will have fun making this one Maureen. It's a great use of your snippets too.
Lorraine

Kathleen said...

Brilliant card and I do so love the flower box with all those little leaves, thanks for the idea as I have those dies and I do really need to get back to using up some of my flowers too.

Kath x

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Mo. Such a pretty sunny card. Just what we need in early spring,
Hugs
xx

MaryH said...

Oh my goodness, Miz Mo. You have outdone yourself this time with the snippets! And how beautiful is that lush planter box full of posies and foliage. Beautiful use of this window die and love the woodgrain background. I'm struggling to meet Rudy Day tomorrow, as we've just had company arrive, and planning to head to Florida ...not expected in my schedule at all! But family & friends will take priority, so will do best I can. Big Hugs & TFS.

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Maureen, I love the wonderful window scene you have created.
Pauline
x

Pia S said...

Such a beautiful card! Simple and decorative, love how you did all the greeneries!

MagsB said...

What a pretty, springlike card, Mo! I love the bright flowers!

love Mags B x

Bonnie said...

What a pretty window and window box!